Download Tara Cleveland's CV as a PDF document.
- A strong aptitude for usability, interface design and information architecture
- Possesses more than 16 years of experience in web design and development
- A leader in and teacher of standards-based HTML and CSS
- Has a solid understanding of the entire web development lifecycle from both a design and development perspective.
Freelance and Contract Web Site Design
- Developed online marketing and communications strategies for small businesses and non-profit organizations.
- Adapted and augmented open source software to develop content management systems for clients.
- Consulted for several firms about moving to standards-based web sites.
- Designed and developed sites for small local and large multi-national companies.
- Coded and designed the online banking navigation interface for one of the major banks in Canada.
- Rebuilt and redesigned several sites and web applications to achieve standards compliance.
Financial Director and Development Worker — Royal Park Community Consortium (volunteer and contract)
- Led local volunteers in a £3 million project to transform a derelict school into a community hub.
- Developed branding and communications strategy which resulted in a dramatic increase in membership and winning conditional funding of almost £1 million.
- Prepared budgets, financial forecasts and business plans.
- Worked with the board of directors, management committee and teams of contractors and consultants to prepare detailed project plans.
Lead Web Developer — Project Spot Portal Team — IBM and BSkyB (full time contract)
- Worked with the Portal team, external suppliers and the client to build site according to the design requirements supplied by external marketing and branding agencies.
- Designed sections of the site within the look and feel of the brand.
- Responsible for ensuring site meets accessiblity, usability, standards and coding guidelines.
- Initiated team-wide security audit to guard against cross site scripting.
Webmaster — Trinity College at the University of Toronto (part-time contract)
- Migrated all of the content from the old site to the new site.
- Adapted the design and information architecture to the changing needs of numerous stakeholders.
- Liased between the college staff and system administrators and programmers.
- Proposed, persuaded a large group of stakeholders to agree to, and implemented substantive usability improvements to the previously approved design.
- Recoded the custom content management system (CMS) templates to achieve standards compliance.
- Rebuilt entire 400 page website using Drupal - in less than one week.
- Developed an analysis of the College’s custom CMS in comparison to standard features in open source CMSs with regard to the needs of the College.
Senior Designer — TiCorp Interactive
- Designed graphical interfaces and information architecture for intranet applications with a small team of creative and technical staff.
- Primary designer of a web-based document management system for a government ministry.
- Facilitated the planning and implementation of a quality assurance and bug testing system.
- Worked closely with the engineers and the art director to develop functional specifications.
- Adapted to different roles (production artist, a senior designer, and an HTML coder) as a temporary employee for medium, large, and start-up companies.
New Media Director — Tone Interactive
- Managed e-commerce projects.
- Devised unique and creative web marketing strategies.
- Drafted proposals including budgets and timelines for numerous projects.
- Designed and developed high-end web sites with a team of developers.
Web Designer/Developer — On2logic New Media
- Primary designer on numerous corporate and high-tech websites.
- Planned and managed the design and completion of projects.
Freelance Multimedia and Web Site Design
- Developed and designed web sites for small and medium sized businesses.
- Software: Photoshop, ImageReady, Dreamweaver, GoLive, FrontPage,, Illustrator, Quark Xpress, InDesign
- Operating Systems: Macintosh, Windows, some familiarity with UNIX.
View my full portfolio.
2009-2012 Open University – working towards Msc Global Development Management
1996-2000 University of Toronto
1996 International Academy of Design — College Diploma in Computer Graphics
1994 University of King’s College — Foundation Year Programme
Royal Park Community Consortium
Member and web and graphic design person
Member and interim meeting organizer
Steering committee member and organizer of TOevolt 2004 conference
Making A Commercial Case for Adopting Web Standards (MACCAWS) (2002-2004)
Co-founder, steering committee member and leader of the Marketing Group
Toronto Webgrrls (1997)
Assistant Meeting Coordinator
- “Accessibility Laws in Canada”
- evolt.org, 25 May, 2002
- “The Way Forward with Web Standards”
- contributor and editor, maccaws.org
- “What Every Web Site Owner Should Know About Standards: A Web Standards Primer”
- contributor and editor, maccaws.org
- “Using Web Standards with Macromedia Contribute”
- Design Fest ’05 — October, 2005
- “Web Standards and Dreamweaver”
- DreaminginTO — August, 2004
- “The Train Track Gauge of the Future: Solving Usability Problems with Web Standards Today”
- The Toronto Usability Summit — May 2003
References are available upon request.